Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Reflections


Psalm 9:18
"The needy will not be forgotten forever; the hopes of the poor will not always be crushed."

Today, there is word from Colorado that the state legislature has passed some very tough laws that prohibit undocumented residents from receiving basic services. (A taste of things to come as our nation continues the debate over our immigration policy)

As a follower of the ultimate 'friend of the lowly, the forgotten, and the poor' I feel compelled to care. I feel moved to pray and do what I can to act in love-filled way towards these individuals who have become such lighting rods of controversy.

I feel deeply saddened and burdened that we are so unable to understand the hopes that these men and women have for a better life, and for many, for economic survival.

Forgetting politics for a moment. I am trusting God that the words of Psalm 9 are indeed going to be fulfilled at some point. That if the Lord has anything to do with it, 'the hopes of the poor will not be crushed forever.'

Proverbs 19:4
"Wealth makes many friends; poverty drives them away."

Do I only welcome others when they make my life better and more prosperous, (or at least have no negative impact on my life), or do I see the value of others for who they are; men and women created in the image of God. In fact, am I open to the possibility that the very presence of Christ might be uniquely found in the poor and forgotten that I easily walk past?

Lord, help me to see the vulnerable as you do, and help me do whatever I can so that your Kingdom will come here on earth as it is in heaven--where the hopes of the poor will not be crushed.

1 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Towing with a Powerful life said...

The hopes of the poor is the same hope that caused slaves in America to be the most innovative and productive people in the history of this country. We have more opportunities than ever before for those who want to succeed, far more than my ancestors who were beaten down by true racist.No the blacks of yesteryear had a true alliance with Christ and understood that He not politics or a movement would be the primary means for their success. It's time to be true to God, stop complaining and get off of our apathy and take advantage of the opportunities to be successful that are ALREADY PRESENT and not spending more to make people feel better!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home